|Dr. Mark Dobeck is a cancer survivor and a Cleveland native. He teaches Business Strategy in the Monte Ahuja College of Business.
Dr. Dobeck earned the Ph.D. degree at the University of Texas at Dallas and his doctoral dissertation focused upon securities exchange demutualization. He also holds a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX and an Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA) degree from Cleveland State University. In addition, he holds a graduate certificate in Evaluation Research from the University of Texas at Dallas.
Prior to entering academia, Dr. Dobeck had more than 20-years of senior management experience in banking and finance. He is considered an expert in enterprise risk management (particularly financial), business analytics, financial derivative instruments, and securities trading operations. Much of his experience has been international. He spent two years in Mexico City working on a project to reorganize and automate the Treasury Department of the nations largest bank. His work led to the development of the first bank mutual fund in the country, which was an offshore entity.
He lived and worked Moscow, Russia during the 1990s and played a key strategic role in the development of the Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange (MICEX). It was one of the first and most successful, fully automated electronic securities (& derivatives) exchanges. He was an also an advisor to the Deputy Chairman of the Board of one of Russias largest banks. This time period was characterized by the privatization of state-owned enterprises in Russia and the transition to a free-market economy. While in Russia, he also taught at the first fully accredited, western MBA program established in Moscow. The graduate business courses that he taught included International Investments and Financial Risk Management.
Dr. Dobeck authored a recently published book titled Money, which is part of the Greenwood Series on Business & Economics. He has also published articles in leading academic journals and trade publications. His research interests include strategy, enterprise risk management, business analytics, and entrepreneurship.
Dr. Dobeck was appointed as a faculty member of the International Institute for Analytics (IIA). Dr. Dobeck serves as a member of the Board of Directors for the Entrepreneurship Education Consortium. He is a member of the Leadership Team (i.e. Board of Directors) for Launchtown and represents CSU at the Glide Innovation Fund. He is a member of the Project Management Institute and a certified Project Management Professional (PMP). In addition, he is a member of the Global Association of Risk professionals and holds the Financial Risk Manager (FRM) certification.
Formal Business Analytics / Quantitative Training
- SAS Advanced Business Analytics (August 2014).
- SAS Visual Analytics (July 2014).
- Text Analytics using SAS Text Miner (July 2014).
- SAS Advanced Logistic Regression (March 2014).
- SAS Using Mixed Models (July 2013).
- SAS GLIMMIX Procedure (July 2013).
- Mastering JMP: Data Exploration and Custom Design of Experiments (November
- Developing Credit Scoring Applications with SAS Enterprise Miner (October 2012).
- Introduction to Building Models with SAS Sentiment Analysis Studio (October 2012).
- Demand Driven Forecasting for Operations and Supply Chain Management (October
- SAS Advanced Predictive Modeling with Enterprise Miner (July 2012).
- Data Manipulation and Analytics with SAS Enterprise Guide (July 2012).
- Advanced Analytics (July 2011).
- SAS Data Mining with Enterprise Miner (July 2011).
- SAS Programming (July 2010).
- SAS Applied Data Analytics (July 2010).
Outstanding Faculty - Golden Apple Award, CSU Alumni Association (September 2014).
Outstanding Faculty Award, Cleveland State University (May 2014).